Kernel love for Nvidia and Nintendo
We don't normally make a big fuss about kernel releases - after all, many of the changes are low-level and don't directly affect us mere mortals - but 2.6.33 is an exception. First up, this release includes Nouveau, a totally free, reverse-engineered driver for Nvidia graphics cards. Not only does this driver support more cards than the proprietary, closed one, but it can be updated and maintained by the community indefinitely.
Secondly, this kernel includes support for Nintendo's Wii and GameCube consoles. The gc-linux project has been working on this for a while, and now it's in the mainline kernel tree.
Here are the biggest changes:
- Nouveau driver for Nvidia graphics cards
- Improvements to the tracing infrastructure and perf tool
- TCP Cookie Transactions to block denial-of-service attacks
- In-memory compressed swapping through /dev/ramswapX devices
- Better drivers for VMware's emulated GPU and network card
- Nintendo Wii and GameCube support
See Kernel Newbies for a detailed look at everything new in 2.6.33.