Podcast Season 2 Episode 17
Title: 88 Miles Per Hour
In this episode: We each predict a news story that may or may not have happened over the last seven days. Play the final results of our 'build a game' challenge, and we ask, is it finally time to do away with the command-line?
What's in the show:
Due to this podcast being recorded some time in the past, we try our best to predict what might have happened between the time of the recording and the time you read this.
- You Dare Us:
The results of our awesome game challenge from four weeks ago:
"Vzzbux is a simple top-down scrolling shoot em up. Move around with the cursor keys and hit space to fire - see how long you can survive! It's a very small game but the code is well-commented and can be used for your own shoot 'em ups. I might make a serious game out of it one day with power-ups, bosses etc."
Download Vzzbux (1MB).
"Switcharoo is a simple word game where you have three minutes to make as many four-letter words as you can. You can score extra bonuses by changing the same letter repeatedly, making colours, or matching the chosen word of your mentor, Melody."
Download Switcharoo (11MB).
- Discovery of the week:
- A boot manager called Plop Boot Loader (but you'll still need Grub for Linux).
- Layar, on Android phones, is rather cool.
- An awesome German word, Schlimmbesserung, which literally means, a bad improvement.
- In the Hot Seat:
- Closed Ballot: We ask ourselves, is it time to do away with the command-line?
- Andrew Gregory's chance to prove his geek credentials.
Presenters: Andrew Gregory, Paul Hudson, Graham Morrison and Mike Saunders.
Music by Brad Sucks.